This is just one example of the kind of village we might like to think about for Pittwater, NSW. Even if it doesn’t quite fit, the design principles are worth a look.
See it’s town planning principles. Some which we have highlighted here:
- Design at a pedestrian level
- Design to create happier and healthier communities
- Terminated vistas – each different from the next
- Building all basic needs for a resident within a five minute walk
- Architecture, walkways and cycleways more structured closer to town as it gets more rural these become more casual, less structured.
- Houses closer to the street – creating sense of community
- Includes alleyways where cars, garbage, etc are hidden
- Narrow streets which calm traffic
- Be sensitive to the environment
- “Bookending” on the corners of each street – giving street scale and proportion
- Design great outdoor spaces – make them feel like outdoor living-rooms; places to meet, play, cook and eat (let people own these spaces i.e. be responsible)
The video explains it all beautifully. And don’t forget this is one of the fastest selling towns in the USA. That means people want to, need to live like this.